Monday, October 24, 2011

70's Resin Headboard Turned French

I picked up this wood & resin headboard at a new source I have for inventory. I didn't have any real plans for it at first so I just looked through the "French" paint colors I had that might work.

Keep in mind that I was using the camera on my phone which, you can tell by these pics isn't the best option. This is what I came up with. The colors look pretty washed out here, the details stand out a lot more in person. 

This shot shows the pale aqua a little better. I started with Rustoleum's Heirloom White spray paint just to get a nice solid base color on to start with. Next I dry brushed the aqua on then did a second & very light dry brushing of a dark cream over the entire thing.

Once my paint dried I sanded all the edges and raised areas with 80 grit sandpaper to give it a distressed look. I finished it up with some chocolate glaze then sealed it with two coats of a polyurethane spray.

I love how this shot shows so much of the detail that was highlighted by the distressing. It didn't come out too bad for just making it up as I went along. The woman who bought it fell in love with it & was apparently re-designing her guest room to go with it. I just wish I had taken some better shots so you could see the truer colors & texture of the finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment