Friday, March 25, 2011

Shutter Memo Board

 These are a pair of shutters I picked up at my local Habitat for Humanity ReStore for a couple bucks. They were in pretty bad shape, the arm that opened & closed the slats was disconnected at one end on one shutter & the other was just kind of banged up. I didn't need these to function as shutters so that part didn't matter to me & it helped when I asked if they would take a few bucks for both!

 Next I opened the slats (like shown on the shutter at the right) & hit each one with a couple good coats of Krylon's Aqua in a satin finish. After that dried I heavily brushed on Valspar's Asphaltum glaze then removed the excess with a damp paper towel, followed by a couple coats of spray polyurethane. After the entire finishing process was  complete, I cut a section of cream colored burlap to the same length & width of the slat section of each shutter. I don't have a picture of this but all I did to apply it was run a bead of  hot glue along the top of each slat on the side with the arm then press the burlap into place. This kept the slats from opening & also created a barrier on the backside to prevent mail/papers from falling through. I finished the back side off with a saw tooth hanger on either side to hang it from.
Here it is finished, not the best picture but you get the idea. It could also be used for organizing mail or displaying snapshots.

1 comment: